It’s hard to know whether you’re publishing enough, when you’re a part-time postdoc! But sitting and taking stock of recent writing activity, I think I’m probably on track.
- A journal article about our research project (basically a smartened up version of a paper I gave in Antwerp, Summer 2014) – pending publication.
- An article I wrote for a librarianship magazine – more of a personal opinion piece than scholarly writing – pending publication.
- A peer-reviewed, and quite significantly revised version of a paper I gave in Aberdeen, Spring 2014 – submitted and pending response.
- A completely different article about the research project – peer-reviewed and resubmitted – pending response.
- 3 encyclopedia articles uploaded but as yet uncommented upon – pending.
When I’m not in the mood for writing in my spare time, I tend to indulge my creativity arranging music, sewing, or writing blogposts like this one. There’s been quite a bit of creativity in between article revisions of late! However, my wardrobe is now bulging, and I have a backlog of tune arrangements that are in score, uploaded to Dropbox, but need separate parts for each instrument. I really should knuckle down!
However, I’m quite looking forward to tomorrow, because the church choir that I’m responsible for, will be singing one of my own compositions – not an arrangement of a pre-existing tune, for once! – at the end of the service. They’ve practiced hard, and so have I. I do hope the congregation sits still long enough to actually hear it! If there’s a hubbub of people talking and getting up to leave while we’re still performing (yes, this happens), I shall come home very dejected. I shouldn’t mind, because it happens so regularly and regardless of what we’re singing, but … well, I hope it doesn’t happen tomorrow, all the same!