Talking about arranging Music
If practice makes perfect, then a vlog in my car-turned-studio makes perfect sense!
Okay, feeling more alive now, I decided it was time to wrap up my project “interventions” – the two user education guides that I’ve undertaken to devise as part of my PGCert project.
Initially, the intention was to create just one. It didn’t feel enough, and it didn’t offer the chance to experiment. Moreover, it didn’t really address the problems that I perceived our students were experiencing.
I decided I’d create two. I had bold ideas of podcasts, vodcasts, powerpoints with recorded voiceovers, and screencaptures. I even toyed with the idea of combining a YouTube and screencaptures. I went to the park one lunchtime and played with YouTube (it’s anonymous, and there weren’t many people around). Then commonsense kicked in.
I decided my first intervention would be something I felt comfortable with: a powerpoint. I have hardly ever recorded a voiceover, but at least the powerpoint would be easy. Simplicity itself, in fact. I spent hours sourcing suitable images, made a presentation about referencing and citation, got it approved in principle by my project supervisor, and scurried home to write and record the script. Six migraines and a viral infection later, I had a free evening and got the mic/headset out of its box … took a deep breath, and got on with it. I had a complete intervention – put out the flags!
It had been so easy, I had more time left over than I expected. So I started my second intervention. I sourced screencapture software, made a handful of powerpoint slides, and wrote the script. This morning, I seized the gift of some more free, peaceful hours, and started recording.
Even with a new, more robust internet connection, my computer didn’t load up pages as fast as I needed them to load. I tried again, this time pausing the recording until they did load. There are parts of our webpages that seem to occupy half the screen before sliding up again. Not helpful. Moreover, flipping between a handful of powerpoint slides and the e-resource pages was clunky, and I wasn’t entirely sure that my guinea-pig cohort (still innocent that they are to be invited to be guinea-pigs) would see exactly what I wanted them to see, or whether they’d get all the recording clutter around the edges of the screen. This wasn’t going well.
I thought again. What, actually, was wrong with another powerpoint-plus-voiceover? I’m good at powerpoints, I can read a script confidently, and I know the recording will work. Is there really any merit in trying anything else that won’t look as good or flow as smoothly? It took minimal time to turn all my scripted online demos into screenshots in the powerpoint. Recording it was easy – why, I’d even practised the words several times already on the functional but ugly screen-capture attempt.
Finally … I have two interventions. (I wish I could show them off here straight away, but that would spoil the project, so you’ll need to wait! But here’s a picture, just as a teaser.)
And I can put the kettle on!
This is going to be a sharp learning curve! First lesson of the day – one that any telejournalist could have told me – at the start of a recording, pause and SMILE before actually starting speaking.
The next experiment will entail trying to combine selfie-vlogging and outward-facing vlogging, so I can talk about the library or something on-screen. And comparing the whole experience of recording a YouTube on tablet or on a laptop. My tutor’s going to be So Proud of me!
This could be useful when I’m designing my intervention. The purpose is different, but it is an example of vlogging.