During the reign of King George IV, Johann Peter Pixis wrote his Hommage a Clementi, a set of piano variations on ‘God Save the King’, op.101. Published in 1828 by S. Chappell, and also distributed by Henry Lemoine, copies went to all the copyright libraries. As I’m transcribing each item on the two Advocates’ Library music sales lists, I’m looking to see where copies survived, and it’s rare to trace such near-complete coverage as I did with this piece. Playing my game of ‘Happy Families’ with the list dated March 8th, 1830, I checked off an almost complete set still extant, in Aberdeen, St Andrews, Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge and the British Library. Clearly, variations on ‘God Save the King’ were generally considered worth keeping. Indeed, St Andrews and Cambridge each hold two copies. The popularity of the tune is corroborated in a recent book, Taking it to the Bridge: Music asperformance, edited by Nicholas Cook and Richard Pettengill, p.114.
Of course, the Advocates were selling theirs, and who knows what happened to the copy that presumably also went to the University of Edinburgh (aka ‘Edinburgh College’). As for Sion College – I haven’t started investigating what happened to their music, yet. I hope to visit my counterparts in Lambeth Palace soon, but my travel plans are a bit up in the air at the moment …
After several hours of transcribing grey, enlarged camera photos, I thought it might be fun to play this apparently desirable score. It’s lucky I’m visiting Glasgow University Library soon, because a quick search online didn’t turn up a digitised copy. Admittedly, I didn’t look very hard. However, I did find a review of the piece in The Harmonicon of 1828, the music magazine which was enormously popular with library users in St Andrews! Two of Pixis’ sets of variations are reviewed. Do I really want to bother with something fit only for ‘crazy amateurs of Vienna’, or nimble-fingered pianists with no judgement? Maybe the Edinburgh advocates knew something …
June 2017 sees me working towards completion of my PGCert project (Postgraduate Certificate, Learning and Teaching in Higher Arts Education), and towards the commencement of my AHRC-funded networking project, Claimed from Stationers’ Hall.
I’m setting things in place for the postdoctoral project, but I’m hopefully going to have the PGCert written and submitted before the postdoc network kicks off.
The PGCert Project
For long enough, I’ve been focused first on getting my practice-based project research proposal written and accepted, and then getting it through the ethical approval process. Between those two milestones, I devised my project questionnaire and two ‘interventions’ – experimental mini online tutorials that I would share with my chosen project cohort, asking them targeted questions to elicit their reactions to my efforts.
Finally, I was able to get the project under way. I shared the questionnaire several times. I set a deadline of the end of May, to allow myself time to evaluate the questionnaire responses. Finally this week, with the deadline past, I was able to start my analysis. I had 18 sets of responses, and decided that would do.
Some of my questions were multiple choice (eg, Did this help? Yes or no.) Others offered the opportunity to give free-text answers. When it came to analysis, the multiple choice questions were easily turned into pie charts, whilst the free-text ones lent themselves to textual analysis. Having sorted the answers into rough categories, I even managed to make some more pie charts. (My study was more like a pie-shop this morning!)
I also need to submit a Journal Summary(1000 words) with PDP, detailing where my learning development has changed with regards to ‘Pedagogy, Research, Scholarship [and] Professional Practice‘ – and I need to refer to key journal entries in that regard. The PDP shouldn’t go past 3 A4 pages.
I am absolutely delighted to have just received notification that my networking grant application has been approved. I’m awaiting the letter with details, but until then, I shall just bask in what our Head of Research describes as my “one hundred per cent success-rate”. This was my first grant application.
Musicologist and Pedagogue trapped in a librarian's body. I'm qualified in music, librarianship and education. I began this blog when I was studying for my PGCert in Learning & Teaching in Higher Arts Education, and I'm now using it for CPD. I'm a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Midweek I am continuing the research I commenced as PI for an AHRC-funded research network @ClaimedStatHall – early legal deposit music. Off-duty I'm hard-wired into my sewing machine!